Monday, April 26, 2010

mini calzones with prosciutto, mozzarella and tomatoes

It's Monday. Again.

I realize Monday comes every week, but every weekend I find myself hoping it would hold off for just a day longer. This weekend was no exception. I spent my Friday catching up with one of my favorite people, my Saturday hosting a birthday dinner party and my Sunday trekking up a mountain then eating cheese fondue. A lovely weekend as far as I'm concerned.

It's not surprising that Saturday is the inspiration for this post. There's just no way I could pass up talking about the food my roommate and I made. Home made hummus, mini calzones, salmon with dill - pistachio pistou, rosemary potatoes...mmm. I promise I'll post more about the hummus and salmon as they deserve their own moment in time. Right now though, it's all about the mini calzones.

I can't take credit for the idea. I found the recipe for these Saturday morning as I was pouring through my newest cookbook, Jamie's Dinners by Jamie Oliver. The combination is such a simple spin on some classic combinations so I just had to try them. They turned out perfectly. Well, almost perfect. I'll have to work on my calzone crimping skills for next time. They were sort of like snowflakes - no two were folded the same. Also, using larger pieces of prosciutto to make little "bundles" with the mozzarella, basil and tomatoes would probably keep the calzones from leaking their insides while baking. All in all, these were worth the effort and will be making repeat appearances at dinner parties to come.

The original recipe did not include specific quantities for the ingredients. I've approximated here just to making shopping easier. Enjoy!

mini calzones with prosciutto, mozzarella and tomatoes
makes approximately 20

1 package frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
12 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
16 ounces fresh mozzarella balls
cherry tomatoes, halved
fresh basil leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 egg, beaten
splash of milk (for egg wash)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll the puff pastry out on a lightly flour dusted surface until just under a 1/4 inch thick. Using a 5 inch plate as a template, cut out about 7 circles. On one half of each circle lay a slice of prosciutto, followed by large thumbed sized piece of mozzarella, a cherry tomato half and a fresh basil leaf. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Wrap the prosciutto around the filling to hold it together, then egg wash the edges of the pastry and fold it in half. Pinch or crimp the sides together so the filling won't leak out. Bake until golden brown and crisp on the outside.

1 comment:

  1. Looked so good that I ran out and bought all the ingredients! Making it tonight...and am super excited! Thanks for this recipe! Wish me luck :)

    ReplyDelete