Sunday, February 21, 2010

sweet potato leek soup

I may have to change the name of this blog to "for the love of soup" if I keep going at this rate. I just love soup! This weather is made for it. While it's beautifully sunny outside, it's amazingly brisk. The kind of weather that I think asks for soup. Or at least the kind of weather that makes me ask for soup?

Honestly, soup was something I was never very skilled at making. Just ask my college roommate about the french mushroom bisque debacle circa 2003. She can attest that debacle is the precise word to describe that sorry attempt at bisque. It seemed like it was going to be ok...but no. And all efforts to save the soup failed as well. I think the pot sat on the counter for two days before I even had the motivation to toss it. Gross, I know, but it was college. Dishes were hardly a priority. I have since risen to the challenge and now soup is something I love to make.

This recipe was originally pulled from Bon Appetit magazine and called for maple syrup in addition to the ingredients below. I never bothered to add it because the balance of leek and sweet potato was just too good. I think the syrup would dilute it. Also, don't skip the celery leaves. They're amazing!

sweet potato leek soup
makes 6 to 8 servings

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
3 small celery stalks, stalks and leaves chopped separately
2 medium leeks, sliced and well rinsed (white and pale green parts only)
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1 1/2 pounds (about 5 cups) red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams), peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
4 cups chicken stock
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups half & half
salt and pepper

Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium - high heat. Add onion and saute 5 minutes. Add chopped celery stalks and leeks and saute until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes. Add potatoes, chicken stock, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

Remove cinnamon stick and discard. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return to pot. Add half & half in small amounts until soup reaches desired consistency. Stir over medium - low heat to heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with celery leaves before serving.

Tip: Store celery leaves separate from soup when keeping leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment