Saturday, February 27, 2010

mixed berry muesli

I am on my second trip in less than two weeks. Only this time instead of heading to the balmy desert to enjoy poolside mojitos paired with copious amounts of sunshine, I'm headed to the great white....East coast. Pittsburgh to be exact. While I have normally avoided the Steel City this time of year since my move to Seattle, my adorable newborn nephew pulled me homeward this February. And let me tell you, even 60 and sunny felt cold after Palm Springs. Now I'm stuck in a 27 degree snow globe with three - yes, three - feet of snow on the ground. Shivering yet?

All this cold weather left me looking for something a little more satisfying - and warmer - than my typical fruit and yogurt breakfast. Enter muesli. If you've never heard of muesli it's simply any mixture of cereals, dried fruit and nuts that is typically eaten for breakfast. I can attest that it's delicious and the perfect cure for a frigid Pittsburgh morning. Another bonus, the recipe that I'm showcasing here is reminiscent of a decadent berry crumble...but without the guilt. It's that good. Enjoy!

mixed berry muesli
makes 4-6 one cup servings

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/4 cup toasted almonds, chopped
1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries
1/4 dried cherries, chopped
1 tablespoon cinnamon
a dash of freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 cup low fat milk
1 1/2 cups low sugar mixed berry juice

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl or container that will hold at least one quart. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve warm (can be heated in the microwave) or cold with yogurt.

1 comment:

  1. totally making this. it isn't any warmer in indiana, pa...yum! enjoy your visit home!

    ReplyDelete