Thursday, January 7, 2010

roasted beet salad with almond shallot vinaigrette

Beets.

OMG Beets.

Go ahead. It's ok. You can say it. You can even venture to eat them.

I think the word alone scares a great deal of people away from this red root. The name for the unfmailiar many conjures up images of pickled red discs floating in dark red liquid. I can still remember my college roommate's love for beets and how I would almost cringe every time she ate them. My nose just wrinkled at the memory. I promise though that if you give beets a try (again), it will be worth it!  I myself have been eating a lot of beets lately. I didn't discover them again on my own. Turns out it's winter and they keep showing up in my CSA box. I've tried my hand at beet chips but was looking for a more substantial dish. With a dinner party approaching and both red and gold beets in my fridge, I decided to give the following recipe a go. It was a hit!

I've made this salad again since and substituted hazelnuts for the almonds. Also, mache (aka lamb's lettuce) is a must! Enjoy!

roasted beet salad with almond shallot vinaigrette
yields 4 servings
2 large beets, peeled and cleaned (one red, one gold)
1/4 cup sliced natural almonds
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large Asian pear
3 cups mache or baby arugula
gorgonzola cheese crumbles

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wrap beets in foil and roast in the oven until tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Unwrap beets and allow to cool.

While beets are roasting, cook almonds in oil in a small skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until they are a pale golden brown. Allow almonds to cool in oil (they will get darker as they cool). Transfer almonds with a slotted spoon to a small bowl and season with salt.

Stir together shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt and oil from almonds in a large bowl.

Halve the beets then cut them into 1/4 inch thick slices and add to dressing, tossing to coat.

Quarter and core pear; cut into julienne strips.

Arrange beets on a platter and drizzle with any dressing remaining in bowl. Top with mache and pear strips. Sprinkle with almonds and gorgonzola.

2 comments:

  1. this recipe sounds terrific! that having been said, your college roommate sounds like a really smart lady who probably understood how gross pickled beets are but that they go so well with a plate full of made-from-scratch (or even cheap store brand box) macncheese. i, for one, would like to meet this beet-lover. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. to clarify: the NON-pickled beets go well with the macncheese. pickled beets are for pickled people. just sayin'. beets are like the butter of the dirt! rejoice for beets!

    ReplyDelete